Our client, a market leader in engineering and construction is seeking an experienced Tax Analyst to join their growing Corporate Finance Department on a 12-month contract. Reporting to the Tax Manager, the Tax Analyst will be a key member of the Tax Group responsible for a wide variety of taxation issues and the financial reporting of taxes. This includes the preparation of income tax provisions, tax returns, elections and other Canadian and non-resident tax filings.
The successful candidate will help support various initiatives using research, analysis, process, procedure collaboration and problem-solving skills to identify and resolve issues while providing outstanding service to our internal customers. The Tax Analyst is a high visibility role that interacts with all levels of management, operations, corporate functions, and multiple operating divisions across North America. The Tax Analyst will gain exposure to tax planning, tax compliance, tax reporting and commodity taxes for all locations within North America. The Tax Analyst will be a business partner to the business and representative of both the Tax Team and the Finance function.
As a Tax Analyst you will:
- Reconcile tax expense and tax liability accounts;
- Calculate Part VI.1 tax and address the needs of the business units;
- Assist with preparation of the Quarterly Tax Provision model, related financial statement disclosures, and return to accrual analysis;
- Assist the Tax Team with a wide range of Canadian federal and provincial income tax compliance, ensuring timely filing of all required forms and returns
- Assist with the GST and PST obligations including compliance, process & control improvements, research, analysis of new legislation and address technical questions from various stakeholders;
- Assist in the timely and accurate calculation of distributable income for Tax and other future-looking budget and forecast models;
- Review and update internal control documentation and communicating with internal and external auditors and tax authorities;
- Maintain tax attributes calculations including adjusted cost bases, safe income, and surplus pools;
- Conduct tax research in areas such as the impact of new legislation on the corporation, internal asset transfers, taxable benefits, and GST / PST;
- Assist with preparation of supporting documents and calculations in relation to the US Federal and State filing requirements and coordinate with the external consultants who prepare them; and
- Prepare draft technical memos to file.
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce, Business or related discipline;
- Accounting designation (CPA-CA, CMA or CGA) required;
- Minimum of 2-3 years of corporate income tax experience within a range of corporate structures including partnerships, corporations and US entities (considered an asset but not required);
- Currently enrolled in CICA in-depth income tax courses;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines;
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
- A strong work ethic and attention to detail are key success factors for the Tax Analyst position;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills allowing for effective interaction with all levels of the organization and different business units;
- Willingness and the ability to learn new skills and continually improve in a fluid and dynamic environment with exciting opportunities for growth and development as a tax professional;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, Corporate TaxPrep & Partnership Return Software;
- SAP experience and exposure considered a benefit but not a requirement;
- Demonstrated commitment to practice tax in keeping with the highest professional ethics and standards; and
- Experience with online research and research skills.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment (Alberta) Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm in Finance & Accounting