Horizon Recruitment has been engaged to recruit ae Senior Manager, Finance for a major law firm in Toronto. This highly visible role is to work internally with Firm’s management, the Finance group and partners. Additionally, the Senior Financial Manager interacts externally with various finance authorities and advisors. Under supervision of the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Office Manager, the Senior Financial Manager will work alongside a team Finance team based in New York and will be responsible for overseeing the activities of Accounting resources for the Toronto office.
The Senior Financial Manager will work primarily on the following:
- Manage and ensure delivery of the Toronto office’s operational goals and requirements related to financial reporting, taxation, budgeting, payroll, accounts payable, billings, benefits, collections.
- Achieve full compliance of internal financial policies and procedures set by the Firm and external reporting and payment submission requirements set by the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Liaise with internal subject matter experts in New York to ensure effective delivery and operational alignment of the Toronto office with head office.
- Prepare month-end and year-end financial closings.
- Prepare legal headcount, annual expense budget and detailed forecast on a general ledger account level for the Toronto office.
- Oversee and manage billing and collection activities for client accounts.
- Provide client fee estimates as required.
- Manage and review daily activities relating to accounts payable to ensure all vendors are paid in a timely manner.
- Provide operational coaching to administrative assistant along the accounts payable process.
- Manage and remit monthly and annual taxation requirements.
- Liaise with New York Finance and the Firm’s accountants on corporate income tax return and non-resident partner’s personal income tax returns.
- Liaise with government auditor on tax return audit upon notifications.
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll for ADP processing.
- Reconcile payroll records to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency statements.
- Maintain awareness of payroll pronouncements and regulations.
- Manage cash flow including cash receipts from clients, transfers of funds to and from New York..
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for both USD and CAD accounts.
- Troubleshoot and fine tune the newly implemented Aderant finance system.
- Coach and develop administrative staff on various finance activities.
- Strong preference for professional accounting accreditation from an international accounting body (CPA or equivalent)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- 8 – 10 years of relevant working experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and developing relationships across organizational levels and departments in Toronto and other offices.
- Strong technical skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office product suite and Adobe Acrobat.
- Knowledge of Aderant Expert database or similar financial management system (e.g. Elite Enterprise) a plus.
- Strong analytical mindset, with the ability to identify and analyze multi-faceted problems and recommend solutions in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Superior organizational skills and flexibility for constant changes.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare comprehensive reports.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm with two complimentary practice areas: Finance & Supply Chain.