Horizon Recruitment is searching for a Payroll Specialist to work in Calgary, Alberta. The Payroll Specialist will be responsible for performing a variety of functions related to collecting, verifying, and processing of payroll, including time entry, keying of terminations or new hires, salary adjustments, completing W2s, T4s and any other year-end responsibilities for Canada or the USA. This role also responds as needed to employee questions concerning payroll matters.
The Payroll Specialist may also be required to calculate special adjustments (bonuses, commissions, advances, etc.) and conduct payroll analysis as needed.
- Ensure bi-weekly payroll is processed timely and accurately; ensuring with compliance with local, state, provincial and federal laws.
- Responsible for controlling timely and accurate payroll input through ADP and Ceridian.
- Responsible for answering and investigating payroll questions from employees, management, human resources and accounting inquiries in a timely and professional manner, communicating out any issues as appropriate.
- Reconciles, edits and audits discrepancies, preparing manual checks when appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with company policy and procedures.
- Works closely with human resources on all changes to employee files and verify changes are appropriately reflected in the payroll system.
- Responsible for creating and distributing accurate reports to accounting, management and field personnel in a timely and organized manner.
- Responsible for meeting all deadlines, including bi-weekly payroll processing, month and year end and audit requirements.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations and assist Accounting as needed with all other account reconciliations.
- Assist with analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and report variances.
- Assist with financial and tax audits.
- Prepares reports for auditing garnishments, tax levies, child support payments, etc. for payment, and deductions.
- Prepares periodic reports of earning, taxes and deductions.
- Audits, reports and maintains accruals and allocations.
- Works with internal and external customers on requests for information.
- Manage competing priorities that may arise.
- Coordinate special projects, including system/product updates and automated time keeping system.
- Balances and distributes W2’s prior to January 31st and T4’s prior to February 28th of each year.
- Must handle a fluctuating workload while ensuring quality is maintained.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Education, Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum five years’ experience with general ledger and payroll processing is required.
- Advanced computer skills and aptitude, including payroll database management and proficiency with MS Office Suite applications is required.
- Working knowledge of the ADP and Ceridian payroll processing is preferred.
- Oil and gas experience is preferred.
- PCP designation is required, CPM is preferred.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have strong self-initiative skills and a process-orientation background.
- Able to multi-task and manage projects simultaneously.
Health and Safety:
- All Employees as a minimum must:
- Take reasonable care to prevent harm to themselves.
- Consider the potential for harm to others or the environment that may be caused by their acts or omissions.
- Work in accordance with information and training provided.
- Refrain from intentionally misusing or recklessly interfering with anything that has been provided for Health, Safety and Environmental reasons.
- Report any hazardous defects in plant, equipment and workplace, or shortcomings in the existing controls, to a responsible person without delay.
- Not undertake any task for which authorization and/or training has not been given.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment (Alberta) Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm in Finance & Accounting