Horizon Recruitment is conducting a search for a Manager, Payroll for an impressive organization with a rich history in the province and around the world. Our client has impacted the lives and careers of thousands of people since its inception nearly 60 years ago. A unique opportunity exists to join a great employer and build a stable rewarding career in the Finance Department as the Manager, Payroll.
The Manager, Payroll leads payroll team of 10 that serves a staff comprising more than $530 million in salaries, benefits and remittances annually. The Manager develops and implements internal controls to ensure the integrity of payroll processes; ensures compliance with all legislative requirements; and oversees the systems and processes which deliver salaries and benefits to nearly 7,000 staff in a bi-weekly cycle, including the reconciliation, reporting, and remittances of statutory deductions and benefits.
- Providing operational leadership and overseeing the ongoing delivery of Payroll department
- Advising and assisting the Director in the execution of strategic plans. Regularly reviews the status of objectives and performance indicators and recommends changes
- Ensuring Payroll processes and procedures are responsive to needs, legislative changes, and collective agreement changes.
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of the collective agreements to ensure payment processes and practices are pursuant to the collective agreement.
- Providing bi-weekly pay to more than 6,000 employees in eight employee groups accurately and on time totaling $370 million annually.
- Providing bi-weekly remittance to the government for CPP, EI, and Income
- Being responsible for the implementation of the Employer Health Tax. Reconciles and remits the Employer Health Tax quarterly, estimated at $7 million annually.
- Reviewing and approving bi-weekly payroll remittances of Benefits deductions such as Pension, Health, Dental, and Life, union dues totaling $51.5 million annually. Responsible for periodic and annual reconciliation of accounts.
- Working closely with systems analysts in Payroll, HR and IT to resolve technical issues and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Working with the assistance of Payroll’s Assistant Manager and Business Analyst, the Manager conducts reviews and analysis, and implements recommended changes to improve Payroll policies, standards and processes.
- Providing advice and guidance to departments on appropriate treatment for payroll related transactions.
- Assisting the Finance Department in the coordination of year-end audit activities.
- Preparing accruals and working papers for the fiscal year end process. Ensures all cut-off procedures are accurate and timely.
- Ensuring staff meet processing deadlines and that Payroll procedures are followed. Ensures there is a continual drive for business process improvement.
- Supervising, training, evaluating, and leading staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field with seven years of management experience in payroll or directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Payroll Designation (CPM) is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of financial management concepts, theory, standards, and practices.
- Practical experience with general accounting principles, budgeting, audit, and financial management.
- Keen knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency requirements related to payroll
- Excellent knowledge of industry best practices (i.e., Canadian Payroll Association).
- Excellent leadership, strategic planning, organizational, quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation).
- Well developed people and leadership skills.
- Ability to interpret and apply collective agreements.
- Ability to apply accounting methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation applications and enterprise financial and business systems.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm with two complimentary practice areas: Finance & Supply Chain.