Just HR is conducting a search for a Labour Relations Advisor for our international client that services the transportation and logistics sector. Working closely with the Manager, Human Resources the Labour Relations Advisor will be a key part of our clients relationship management team ensuring collective bargaining negotiations with agreements align with our clients objectives. In addition the Advisor will assist in managing any grievances, support hiring and interpret agreement language. The advisor will also contribute to workforce management initiatives and assist the leadership team with special projects. This is a hybrid role working primarily in Burnaby but will require travel to our clients site locations in the lower mainland for meetings with other team members.
- Support collective bargaining negotiations for multiple agreements.
- Conduct thorough analysis of provisions within the collective agreements to inform strategic proposal development during the collective bargaining process.
- Provide guidance and support to all business units in interpreting and managing the application of collective agreements.
- Manage the Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention process as a Designated Recipient, including resolving, tracking and reporting.
- Maintain consistency across business units, safeguarding strategic objectives during issue resolution and LR decision-making processes. Proactively anticipate potential inter-location challenges, promoting organizational preparedness and awareness across all departments.
- Act as the central contact for all matters related to grievances, including collaborating with internal stakeholders to understand issues and formulate responses.
- Streamline and monitor grievance administration, including tracking grievances across business units, managing schedules for arbitrations and labor board hearings, and ensuring timely and comprehensive communication with key personnel.
- Develop best practices and procedures pertaining to discipline and grievance responses, ensuring continual enhancement and alignment with strategic goals.
- Cultivate and sustain strong relationships with representatives of multiple Unions across Canada, representing our client professionally and fostering positive engagement where possible.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in interpreting and supporting the administration of collective agreements, grievances, and arbitration, either in a labour relations or senior human resources advisory role.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, law, or a related field. Additional relevant certifications are advantageous.
- In-depth understanding of labor laws, regulations, and employment standards. Familiarity with, and able to support, collective bargaining process, dispute resolution, and grievance handling procedures.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate complex legal and labor-related issues clearly and concisely.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills with the capacity to navigate sensitive or contentious situations.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking abilities to assess complex labour relations issues, identify trends, and provide strategic recommendations.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing business environments and priorities, demonstrating flexibility and resilience in the face of challenges.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word, with the ability to create complex spreadsheets, documents, and presentations. Proficiency using pivot tables required.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with various stakeholders, including employees, unions, and management.
- Proven ability to maintain a strong and composed approach when dealing with challenging situations, ensuring effective, professional communication and positive outcomes under pressure.
The Labour Relations Advisor will recieve a competitive salary of $90,000 - $100,000 based on experience. Other compensation includes a variable bonus based on performance, a defined contribution, pension program, health spending account