Horizon Recruitment has an immediate requirement for a Commercial Property Accountant to cover an 18-month mat leave with an established growing Real Estate company. The Property Accountant will review, analyze and report financial results for a portfolio of properties. The Property Accounting will begin with basic entry level properties and increase to complex properties following comprehensive training and additional experience. The successful candidate will take full ownership of their portfolio including both technical and non-technical aspects.
- Produce monthly Financial Statements according to IFRS or as specified by client policy/requirements and other supplementary reports as required
- Responsible for the portfolio’s monthly and annual reporting cycle, including expense and revenue accruals, capital amortization, monthly deadlines, year end and budget processes, GST reconciliation, bad debt process, banking, cash flow and cash distribution
- Process leasing and recoveries, including lease review, interpretation and application of relevant clauses, straight line rent, and operating cost recoveries
- Utilize budgets and other tools to analyze variances
- Understand and reconcile all Balance Sheet accounts
- Ensure all GST and other legislated taxes and assessments are reconciled and remitted
- Anticipate future cash deficiencies and arrange for funding (cash management)
- Prepare monthly cash reconciliations
- Monitor monthly percentage rent billings and follow up on outstanding billings
- Support sites in reconciliation and invoicing of tenants as due
- Review monthly tenant receivables report for accuracy and potential bad debt provisions as required
- Ensure all leases are reviewed and related financial and reporting updates are processed as required
- Follow up with status of operating cost reconciliations within the portfolio
- Prepare year end working papers
- Complete Accounting portion of assigned budget files within assigned deadlines
- Follow up on status of budgets throughout the draft, revised, and final stages to ensure completion within the assigned deadlines
- Complete new property set up, analysis, and follow up of outstanding issues as required
- Two or more years’ related experience in full cycle accounting combined with general accounting knowledge
- Post-secondary education in accounting is preferred
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Word. Experience with specialized computer software is considered an asset, including Yardi.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage tight deadlines; ability to handle multiple demands and competing priorities, adaptable, detail-oriented, and accurate.
- Identify and analyze problems; seek direction where required and take informed, decisive action when needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team; act as a resource and mentor to the accounting team
- Contribute to a positive work environment and culture
- Our client has introduced a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires full vaccination against COVID-19 for everyone
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm with two complimentary practice areas: Finance & Supply Chain.