Our Client, a specialty grocery store, is seeking to add a Grocery Buyer to their team.
The Buyer will utilize their existing food retail product knowledge and manage an assigned category of products including purchasing, sales, profitability, planning, vendor relationships, negotiations, SKU assortment; They will coordinate activities involved with procurement of goods and review purchase orders and confirm with vendors on pricing, availability and delivery of products.
- Purchase and manage store inventory to achieve service level goals and store inventory level turns on promotional items in assigned categories
- Manage and review reports to identify issues on late deliveries, manufacturer outs, and taking appropriate action to maintain high service levels
- Manage pricing accuracy for frontline and promotional prices, insuring price integrity while achieving gross profit objectives
- Identify in-bound purchase order cost discrepancies and perform accounting reconciliation on in-bound shipments for assigned categories
- Develop strategic plans for categories, including category positioning, in-store promotions, plan-o-guides, pricing, service and inventory levels
- Complete regular reviews with stores with selected categories using various inputs, including consumer insights
- Oversee the implementation of Grocery initiatives including merchandising strategies, promotions, events, advertising, flyers
- Build relationships with vendors and negotiate an optimal merchandising mix
- Develop strong relationships with our store team members to move the company’s strategic initiatives forward. Work in conjunction with store teams regarding merchandising products to optimize sales
- Develop sales and promotional strategies including advertising, theme events, seasonal opportunities in order to achieve category targets.
- Responsible for defining product assortment, negotiating terms and conditions of purchase orders.
- Monitor all competitive and industry activities (including trends, opportunities etc.) regarding merchandising, marketing, assortment, pricing and promotions and use findings to support continuous improvement and innovation in the category.
- Identify consumer requirements and develop merchandising plans to meet those requirements.
- Provide feedback on performance reviews for office administrative assistant and/or assistant buyer(s) that indirectly report into you.
- 5+ years of merchandising/management experience within the grocery retail industry
- University degree in a business related field or equivalent
- Ability to develop and implement tactical plans
- Excellent understanding of vendor and customer relationship management
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with others as well as work independently
- Strong financial acumen (P&L)
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Products)
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong negotiation & problem solving skills
- Strong forecasting experience
- Strong analytical, and presentation skills
- Occasional travel will be required
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm with two complimentary practice areas: Finance & Supply Chain.