Horizon Recruitment is working with a privately owned client focused on real estate development. As one of the market leaders in their field and a growth model that continues to attract top talent, the company is looking to add an experienced Financial Accountant to support its growth.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Financial Accountant is responsible for providing all aspects of accounting and financial support for the Company and all projects they manage. The incumbent is accountable for ensuring that accounting processes and controls are being adhered to in accordance with company policies and procedures and to ensure clear, accurate, consistent, and relevant financial information on a timely basis.
- Ensure general transactional accounting processes, reconciliations, and month/quarter/year end procedures are completed in an accurate and timely manner and in compliance with deadlines.
- Responsible for accurate reconciliation and ensuring complete, accurate and timely billings, in accordance with contracts.
- Apply consistent, accurate, relevant, and timely management reporting.
- Assist in preparing quarterly P&L variance analysis for Company, Funds and Projects.
Planning and Process:
- Ensure adherence to company policies, procedures, and internal controls, including project set-up and maintenance in the system.
- Apply the knowledge of professional accounting standards, including financial instruments and revenue recognition and accruals.
- Ensure adherence to documented accounting processes, evaluates and recommends improvements for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Demonstrate an awareness of Governance and Compliance frameworks and maintains effective internal controls.
- Assist in internal and external audits.
- Assist in the ongoing development of systems, processes and improvement opportunities.
- Contribute to management reporting, budgeting, and forecasting for Projects as required.
- Provide monthly Project cost reporting and analysis to Development Managers and Project Directors.
- Assist in preparing monthly investor statements.
- Assist in fundraising, issuing capital calls and distributions to investors.
- Create and update unitholder registry.
- Process unit/share redemption/retraction requests.
- Assist in cash distributions.
- Prepare ASPE and IFRS financial statements.
- Manage accounts receivable collections, and support AR reporting and resolutions of disputes and timely collection of outstanding balances.
- Support and provide project inputs for consolidated monthly cash flow forecasts.
- Review and understand contractual (LPAs, DoTs, loan agreements etc.) terms and conditions in relation to project set-up, and billing requirements.
- Prepare project cost reports and ensure the accuracy of costs.
- Prepare accounts receivable, investment, and accounts payable reconciliations.
- Participate in project reviews and project cost forecasting, providing contestability to the project financials.
- Assist in preparing and distributing tax slips and file GST returns.
- Support deliverables required for audit work (external & client).
- Support Projects for contract management and administration including setups of bank accounts, billing, and costing.
- Support Projects with financial understanding and competencies.
- Develop toward being a trusted business partner to Projects and a representative of the Financial Accounting function to Projects.
- Maintain constructive and effective work relationship with key stakeholders.
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
Key Success Factors and Capabilities:
- Display leadership in Corporate Governance.
- Effectively manage a small team, delegating tasks to Financial Accountant 3 and escalating issues appropriately.
- Give constructive, actionable feedback to direct reports.
- Demonstrate a passion and excitement for their work and model a can-do/high performance attitude.
- Willing and able to face challenges, solve problems, and motivate others.
- Display commitment to continuous improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, GCAL’s and Graham’s values and the Financial Accounting functional strategy.
- Possess moderate to strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess good active listening skills and understanding of other team members’ feedback and thinking.
- Seek guidance in challenging issues such as conflict resolution with team members and internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
- Completion of a recognized professional designation (CPA), preferably completed within an audit/public practice environment.
- 5 - 7 years of relevant accounting experience required.
- 1 or more years of experience in a supervisory role required.
- Accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Deadline oriented.
- Demonstrate moderate to strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of financial accounting principles and practices.
- Demonstrate good accounting proficiency in billing and cost accounting.
- Demonstrate good analytical skills.
- Possess experience in financial services and/or real estate industry.
- Possess a good understanding of real estate development business and what factors drive profitability.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite.
- Advanced Excel Skills required.
- Possess strong working knowledge of ERP systems, SAP preferred.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of UAT testing for systems upgrades and enhancements.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of financial and management/cost accounting systems.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered**
Horizon Recruitment (Alberta) Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm in Finance & Accounting