Horizon Recruitment has recently been engaged to identify a Category Manager- Mining for our client with a growing supply chain department. The Senior Category Manager will be a strategic partner to the senior supply chain leadership team as they implement changes and bring the supply chain function into a strategic alignment with the future of the company. The Category Manager will be accountable for the ongoing overall management of their assigned category(s) performance, spend, and the relationships with suppliers, business unit owners, and stakeholders.
- Overall category performance accountability for highly complex categories – those with a combination of higher spend, organizational impact, risk, change, market complexity, and stakeholder considerations.
- Achieve financial, operational and market targets for assigned categories.
- Build and lead effective cross-organizational teams (including business representatives from multiple Business Groups, Sourcing and Contract Management Advisors and Business Improvement Advisors) through disciplined category management processes.
- Lead the team to develop and implement strategies that will meet specified objectives and targets. Proactively bring new concepts/opportunities, information, methodologies, and tools to the table to spur innovative thinking, problem-solving and decision-making.
- Develop and manage project plans to ensure strategies are developed and executed on schedule and achieve projected benefits.
- Write and present business plans, briefs, category management plans and other documents to management and key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of current/future business objectives, needs, requirements and specifications related to their categories and will work effectively to influence, shape and align these across the organization where appropriate to get the best responses from the marketplace.
- Anticipate and assess supply chain risks and business impact within the category and develop and recommend solutions.
- Lead research and analysis of the category and external market to ensure in-depth expertise.
- Regularly manage extensive consultation with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop the strategy and manage the implementation of supplier relationship management plans.
- Coordinate the management of complex supplier relationships across the organization.
- Lead negotiations with suppliers.
- Resolve escalated supplier issues.
- Ensure contracts are being managed to meet objectives.
- Monitor contract and supplier performance including KPIs, review with business groups to improve future performance and strategy development.
- Provide leadership, coaching / mentoring to develop skills, knowledge and build capacity within the category management, supply chain and business unit teams.
- University degree (Bachelor’s, MBA or Master’s preferred) in business, supply chain, engineering, finance or related degree.
- One or more professional designations and/or certifications (eg. SCMP, APICS, PMP, P.Eng,etc) is a strong asset.
- Experience working in a business environment that is complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and results in implementing multi-step, structured category management or business improvement/planning processes.
- Proven ability to lead through influence, utilize business acumen to determine best course of action and trade-offs, and resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated strong project management and planning skills; Experience utilizing formal project management methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex negotiations, managing supplier relationships and resolving supplier and contractual issues while preserving relationships.
**Only candidates eligible to work in Canada will be considered***
Horizon Recruitment Inc. is a specialized recruitment and search firm with two complimentary practice areas: Finance & Supply Chain.